Sunday, November 24, 2013

Adventures!!! 11-18-13

11-18-13
                                            We are celebrities!!  They all want a picture with us.


                                               


Konnichiwa, kazoku!!!
I have five thousand things to say, and no time!!! I don:t know how this happens every week. Daijoubu. I will do my best!!!
Oh but first in response to some comments --- that is awesome about the new stake presidency! And I am so glad everything went well with the festivals, and choirs, and events going on. And even though they lost that football game, that is super exciting how far they were able to go this year! Kudos! And dad - I:m so happy for you with how things are working out with your job!!!
Alrighty. So last monday after we emailed we went on an adventure with some other missionaries in our zone - we went to Chikushino (another area in our zone, still in Fukuoka) to visit a famous Buddhist shrine. It was gorgeous. I also bought some coats for  a crazy good price, which is fabulous because it is cold every day as of late. And I have come to realize that the pouring rain when it:s cold outside is in fact a smidge crazier than the pouring rain when it:s humid and hot. I don:t know for sure which one I like more - but right now I:d probably say the humid/hot rain is preferable whilst biking in a skirt. Anyway - good thing I have an awesome kapa (rain suit)! I:ll send you a picture some time. It:s great. 
Really fast fun fact - our ward has the absolute cutest families on the planet. There are a ton of young couples with like 2 or 3 kids and they are the greatest. 
Several exciting stories that I would like to share!
-There is an awesome lady that we just started meeting with. She:s sixty, a business woman, married to a doctor, super rich, and really interested in learning English. Long story short - a few months ago some sister missionaries talked to her mom on the street and told her they taught free English, and she said her daughter would be interested. She:s come to Eikaiwa a few times, and came to church last week and this week. She initially said she was not interested in our church, but we were able to meet with her last week a couple of times. It was pretty funny - basically we called her to see if we could talk about some things we believe in and she told us no, then five minutes later one of the APs (whom she:d met at Eikaiwa as well) called her and she said yes. So they called us up and the four of us met her the next day at a cafe to explain why mormons were so happy (one of her questions). We ended up teaching part of the first lesson,. and introducing the book of Mormon and asking her to read Mosiah 2. When we talked to her next, we found out she had read it 10 times because she wanted to understand it - and she took several pages of notes. We asked Higashi shimai (a sister in our apartment who is japanese but has crazy good english) to translate it for us and it was incredible. This lady is a really deep thinker, and a great studier. We had another lesson with her a few days later, mostly talking about some of those questions. The thing that was a little scary was the lesson was at the honbu (mission home) - with President. Yep. It was going to be with the APs but they had another appointment, so the plan was they:d go on splits and one of them would be with president and us for the lesson. So yeah - it stressed me out a little at first when I discovered that! But it was awesome. Kaicho (president) is so kind and loving, and it was incredible how much we were able to learn. I guess that:s a fun perk to being in Fukuoka that not everybody gets - so I:m counting my blessings! They officially passed her to us that lessons, so we:re pushing forward now! Anyway sorry for the bajillions of details on that but she is awesome. We:re meeting again with her in a few hours and I can:t wait! 
Alright I took too much time with that - now I will just give some small info on the rest of my week!
Christina and Karan have crazy work schedules so it:s been hard to meet with them much recently, but we:ve had some pretty good phone lessons, so that:s great! And on that note, lane shimai and I are doing fabulously with the no sugar thing still.
We had an awesome adventure day last week where we went to a part of our area that is aways away so we went my train. I:ve ridden tons of trains since being here in japan. The reason today was a big deal because it was the first time I:ve ridden the train without being with a Japanese person! Aka someone who can read the kanji and train information. So, it was an adventure, but lane shimai and I totally figured out which train to get on at which time in order to get to this random part of Fukuoka. and it worked. And we couldn:t even read very much of the information. Heavenly Father sure does look out for us so much every day! (fun fact - our area, Fukuoka, Fukuoka zone, is crazy big. We can ride a train for an hour and a half and still be in our area. The rest of the areas in our zone are technically still in the city of Fukuoka as well. I guess where I:m going with this is that it blows my mind how huge Fukuoka is.)
I jammed my toe a few days ago so I have been limping a bit for a couple days but I am almost back up to par again - almost healed! So that:s great! In case you:re wondering how I jammed it, I slammed it into a post on accident while biking. Still graceful as ever.
Okay, the Shibata family (the one I sent the picture of last week) is the cutest ever. We taught them about family home evening last night, and it was so cute because we talked about being examples, and being a light to others and taught the little kids Jesus wants me for a sunbeam. The best thing was, the adorable little girl:s name is Hikari, which is the japanese word for light. So the chorus goes `hikari, hikari, Iesusama no tameni` and she loved it. Giggling the whole time - so cute. 
Gosh I have a bajillion more things to say but my time is gone- I am sorry!!!! But last bit of news - today is transfer call day, we:ll know anytime but we haven:t found out yet! I am assuming I:ll be staying here but who knows. Also tomorrow is bean dendou, which I am stoked for - it:s where we go on splits for the afternoon with one of the missionaries who just got off the plane into japan. Tanoshimi! It will be so great, Anyway, love ya all so much, sorry for the scatterbrained letter this week but I hope you have a fabulous week!!
Ai shite imasu!!!!
-Flake Shimai

No comments:

Post a Comment