Sunday, November 23, 2014

Flying Squirrels!! 11-23-14

Konnichiwa, kazoku!
Thanks for the letter! Sounds like a fun week! Let me just give a shout-out for the snowflake football team- I totally was telling the elders in my district last week how proud I was of our team going to playoffs and all that (doesn't matter that it's been years since I graduated haha). They were happy for us too. Gosh I can't believe how fast time flies. Yes so I have officially been in Saijou for 6 transfers - almost 9 months - aka half of my mission. I love it here so much. I love all of my areas because of different reasons but this is my favorite. There is such a special feeling here. It's hard to describe but Saijou is just bursting with possibility. More on that later. Unfortunately, there's some technicalities being worked out still so we're not a branch yet - just doing our best with our happy little Saijou twig. It's great. It's funny - you'd think that after 18th months I'd be just grand with missionary stuff, right? Nope - still make mistakes all the time! Good thing Heavenly Father is patient with us! 
Funny language mishap that occured last week. We were teaching Nakayamasan the law of chastity, temples, and eternal marriage last week (takeda shimai was jointing) and these are two of the nicest people ever. Anyway, I was telling nakayama san that in the temple she could be sealed to her family but instead of saying musubi, the right word, I said musasabi (flying squirrel). Yep, defnitely accidently said she could have a flying squirrel with her in the temple. They both burst out laughing and I realized right away what I said and we were all almost in tears it was so funny. I have never used the word musasabi in conversation but it is a word I learned in teh MTC thanks to the elders in our district. what an opportune time for it to come out, right? Haha anyway it was pretty funny. Nakayamasan is doing great and looking really solid for december 13th - I am so happy for her! Fujimotosan (she is our investigator that reminds me of grandma moody) set a baptismal date last week!!! woohoo!! Only catch is... it is for November 22, 2015. Haha. She is working through some courage things right now but once she makes a promise she keeps it. She will be getting baptized! We are working on moving it up a bit but she really does have that desire to be baptized and we are so excited for her. 
Our district is the best. Two of the elders made us all really cool Saijou sweaters. We all get along so well - it is like a little family here. I love it. 
Thanksgiving - so it is clearly not celebrated in japan unless you happen to be in the same district as teh mission president and his wife (last year's thanksgiving) or in sister lamb's district (this year). She is putting together a HUGE meal for the 2 hiroshima zones today so we  are all headed in to hiroshima in a couple of hours for a big zone pday and dinner. I definitely lucked out on that one - both thanksgivings without even being in america:) 
We've been teaching all sorts of people this week but I don't have time for anything else except our biggest miracle of the week - we were visiting a member a few days ago and as we were walking down the stairs of her apartment building a girl was standing a few doors down and asked us where we were from, and we said america and she said Oh come into my house! I'm from the PHillipines - let's talk! So we went in and talked for a few minutes to her and her roommate and set up a time to come back in a few days whne her other roommates were home (and ebcause it was almost 9 at the time). So we went back a few days later, expecting more of a solid BRT and explaining to them a bit about our purpose as missionaries. We got there and all 4 of these philippino girls were there and they had made us a huge meal (it was SO good - all the philippine food I've had is so good) and we all just talked and had a great time - became great friends. the conversation naturally drifted toward re,ligion and what whe were doing here and they started asking some really good questions. We simply explained a bit, thne asked if we could come over the next week to explain a little more. They started nodding, then one girl just said but I just really want to know now! So, we taught the restoration! They were really receptive, and all 4 of them are interested in learning more! We're going back again next week to teach them! They are all in their 20s and here in japan working for a year. It was one of the craziest moments of my mission. Also, it was the first time I had recited the Joseph smith experience in English in a lesson. It was such a wonderful thing. I LOVE being here. Anyway, so much more to say but that's all I have time for for now - I love you all and thanks for your support!!!! Have a good week!!!!
Ai shite imasu!
Flake Shimai

No comments:

Post a Comment