Monday, August 5, 2013

8-4-13

Konnichiwa! This week was PACKED - like every week seems to be here! I'm sure Yuiko shimai has been sending you pictures of a few of our Miyazaki adventures, but I'll expound a bit on those soon. 
I love hearing about how everything is going back in AZ! That's so exciting that school is starting back up again for y'all -- it's crazy because I left on my mission while you were still all in school, and it doesn't seem like it's already been long enough for you to be back again! Time is a crazy concept, that's for sure.
Yes, it is hot here. Not as hot as Mesa, per se, but the humidity definitely makes up for the degrees difference. It feels so much hotter here than AZ because the humidity is a bit of a doozy sometimes. But enough with the dramatics - I've actually adjusted to it a lot faster than I was expecting to! I think having a working A/C now has helped with that alot :) And yes, Miyazaki is a pretty spread out, big place but it is one of the smaller and more rural parts in our mission. One huge blessing of being a little farther away from the big cities is that people are nicer here, or so I've heard. Not that I'm the expert or anything, because I haven't been anywhere else! Just know that I love it here. Miyazaki is so beautiful - I can't even describe it! Ooh and another real fun fact on that note - a few days ago we made a trek to visit some less active members that live in the outskirts of Miyazaki. We rode our bikes for over an hour, and it was through the most beautiful countryside. It was the first time since coming to Japan that I had been in a place that was open fields, not surrounded by buildings. Seriously, it makes me a little sad that I can't adequately express how beautiful everything is here. Just know that it is, and that's that. :)
So last Monday for Pday we went to Aoshima (which essentially means blue island) which is a beautiful island at the edge of Miyazaki. GORGEOUS. The tide was out, so we were able to hunt through the rocks and find edible sea snails, and we ate them the next night for dinner! And they weren't even gross. Probably not something I'd eat every day, but decent, nonetheless. Another super nice thing was Yuiko shimai's brother, who is in Heber right now told her that if I was from AZ I'd probably like Mexican food. So she made us mexican food! We had taco rice (aka, everything you would put on a tortilla for a taco, just over rice instead) and that was a nice combination of my life. Arizona and Japan. Awesome.
Ooh more fun facts about food - I had my first kaitenzushi experience this week. Essentially a conveyer belt of food rolls past each table and you order on a touch screen what you want, and it just rolls right over to you. Pretty fun. And almost all sushi. I was feeling adventurous, so I can now say I've tried squid, octopus, and sea urchin - and the best thing is it's not that bad! Probably an acquired taste, but hey I guess I'm on the right path.:)
I'd just like to take a minute and apologize right now for the complete random order of things in all my letters - it's essentially just my jumble of thoughts on paper (or I guess the computer in this case) because I feel like we don't have enough time to do everything so my mind is continually throwing things around! 
In answer to your question, the elders have met with the investigator we referred to them once and have had a bit of a hard time meeting with him again because he's really busy with work. But we just keep praying! I have high hopes. I love our investigators. We're teaching an 18 year old girl who is good friends with one of the families in the ward. She is really sweet, and very sincere. She was a referral from this family, so we started teaching her our first week here. She is super nice, and I love the things I'm able to learn during each lesson from her and during the study time we have to prepare. This gospel is amazing!!!!  We're also teaching a really nice lady right now who's in her late 60s or early 70s, and she is great. She has two adorable grandkids that she's watching for a few weeks so she always brings them to Eikaiwa (english class) each week. She was progressing pretty well, she always comes to church and such, but her husband died a few months ago and so she doesn't feel like she could join this church till all of the Buddhist funeral rites are over, out of respect and such. The problem is they go on for about a year. Anyway, so we know she has a testimony and I really do feel like she'll join the church eventually but it's a bummer because things are kind of at a standstill with her. But we just keep working, and loving her, and remembering that the Lord's timing is what matters!
Miracle of the week!
So, a few days ago  during study time I was feeling a bit down and I wasn't sure why - I was figuring things out, and studying what I should be doing, but for some reason I was just feeling pretty overwhelmed with all of the things we had to do. I felt like I should turn on a song on my mp3 and listen to the words, and things would be better. I almost didn't because I never listen to music during study time, but it felt like the right thing to do so I did. The first song that came on was a version I'd never  heard before, and I didn't even know it was on my ipod. I was half listening as the intro to I am a Child of God started playing, then I was surprised when the first thing I heard was "Kami no kode su," aka the Japanese words for the song! It turns out the song was just sung in several different languages, but I think Heavenly Father knew that was exactly what I needed to hear at that moment in time. I almost started crying because I could feel that love so strongly. I know that this is hard, and that life in general is hard, but Heavenly Father is so involved in the details of our lives! He loves us and helps us in so many ways everyday. Recognizing these instances is sometimes hard to do, but with patience, it will come!
Once again, thanks for listening to my rambling. OH one more story - on Saturday we went to see Hanabi - aka fireworks with some members and less actives in our ward. And... we got to dress up for the occasion! The fireworks were in celebration of the ending of summer festival. People were all dressed in traditional dress, and we got to join in! We borrowed some yukattas (kind of like kimonos) from one of the ward members and it was awesome. And the super nice part is that she gave it to me afterward. I can't believe how nice everyone is here. I'll treasure this forever! But anyway, yeah the fireworks were the most amazing I'd ever seen. Definitely the most intense fireworks I'd ever seen. I'll try to send a few pictures. :D
Thank you so much for all of your words of wisdom - I am so grateful for all the advice you give me and your love that I can feel, even though I am thousands of miles away! I love you all, and good luck with all your adventures and endeavors this week!!!!
Ai shite imasu!!!

-Flake Shimai
                                                             Finding sea snails



                                                                Traditional Yukattas


No comments:

Post a Comment