Sunday, May 25, 2014

Brazilian Miracles--In Japan! 5-25-14

Konnichiwa, kazoku!
Wow sounds like it sure was a crazy week! I cannot believe Logan is officially graduated from high school and coming up on his mission! I am so proud of him. I sent off a little letter last week that should be coming soon. I am glad  dallin Logan and Spencer got to help out with all the fun aspects of branding this year. DAd, of course you are right - the reason I know how to work is from growing up on the  ranch. :) But really - I am so glad that I was able to learn the importance of hard work from that. Mom - I am sorry to hear about all that crazy mouth business going on - I hope you feel better soon! I really liked the idea for your students with the choir final. I am glad that worked out for you!
MAN it was a crazy week. A few things came up with Tomiko so we are still planning on baptism but her date will have to be pushed back a bit. She is great, but has had some hard experiences with churches in the past so we are going a little bit slower through the lessons than we had originally been planning on. However, she has told us several times that she feels really good when she meets with us and comes to church, which is super exciting. 
So many things happened this week but I am totally running out of time, so I will try to get out as many things as I can! Alright - last week we had a zone training meeting in hiroshima, and they needed willes and  I to help out with a few musical numbers and things going on with training so we headed up the night before so we could set things up, then stayed the night with the hikari hiroshima sisters. It was a lot of fun - they are both Japanese and way fun. It was interesting - if I had had a similar situation when I was a bean, I probably just would have been scared and quiet, but we had a great time! We laughed and joked around about all sorts of things. They are great. That was on Tuesday. Oh and that day when we were finding here in Saijo - we were a ways out in the countryside, and it started raining a lot. I had my raincoat, but not my rain pants like I usually do and willes was the same - we were DRENCHED. We were out all afternoon, and when I came home for dinner looked a bit like a drowned rat but it was okay. We got to wring out our skirts and our hair, and admire our pruney hands and feet. Loads of fun. Rainy season is coming up! Huzzah for that.
Zone training was great - every transfer our leaders keep raising the bar. Missionary work - exciting stuff! (sorry. that was kind of a lame sentence but I don't have time to explain or expound right now.)
GAH So many things to tell you but I am way outta time so here is my favorite miracle of the week.
We have one portugese book of mormon that we ordered from the mission office.
Yesterday, we went to visit some brazillian PIs so we took it with us. Unfortunately, neither of them were home, but we tried Umeda san (our first brazillian that we have had a few lessons with) and she answered! We havent' been able to get ahold of her for a few weeks, so we were way happy. She invited us in and we were able to have a lesson with her. After that, we were streeting and ran into a foreigner couple with a cute baby. We started talking to them, asking where they are from and the woman said she was from Brazil! We had a great time talking about her family, what she was doing in Japan, and things like that and she asked us a lot of questions about what we were doing here as well. We were able to talk about the fact that we have a message about a special book, that we normally just carry in japanese but today had it in portugese. She looked at it and said, "Well, you must have brought it because you would meet me today! I would love to talk to you more about this, but unfortunately I am going back to Brazil on Tuesday. But I would love to read this on the plane!" We told her there were missionaries like us all over Brazil as well, and asked her to look on mormon.org. WHAT A MIRACLE. She was golden! I am a little sad that we won't be able to teach her but I know the Lord is looking out for her and will lead missionaries to her! That was such a happy experience.
Last bit of news - this past friday, Zaima was baptized! He was one of  the saijo elders' investigators. our little branch is growing! it was an awesome service, full of saijo love. I love it here. I love it. Missionary work is hard but so good. I know this is where I need to be!!!!! Thank you for all of your love and support. I love you all and have a great week!
Ai shite imasu!
Flake Shimai

1 comment: