Sunday, August 31, 2014

Happy Labor Day! 8-31-14

Konnichiwa, kazoku!
Everyday sounds so busy for you. I am glad you had such a great week! I would love to see Spencer play football - I am glad he is having fun! I can't believe it is already football season again. That came entirely too fast. This past year has gone by so fast. I am still trying to wrap my mind around that. Thank you for telling me about that fun connection to washington - I was actually in the same college ward for a semester with Sister Lyles and ended up living with her in Fukuoka for 3 transfers. She is great. I can't believe she is home - missions really are so fast. And yes to answer your question - Suzuki shimai went home about 2 transfers ago.  It is already week 5 of the transfer - I feel like every transfer just gets a little bit faster than the previous one. As of next week I will have been in Saijo as long as I was in Fukuoka. Crazy. I really am hoping to spend the rest of my mission here. I know that wherever I am or transfer to will be where I need to be but I am really hoping to stay here till December. 
Our week was so busy. I feel like there is always so much to be doing and not enough time in the day to do it all!!! We had another open house this past Saturday, which was set up by us missionaries and our ward mission leader. We ordered a lot of big, church (gospel art ish) picture/posters and had them around the room, and basically had a meeting that explained a little bit more about our church. The turnout was wonderful - there were 41 people here (the maximum our meeting room can hold) and 16 nonmembers. It was a lot of fun - we had the meeting just introducing functions in our church and things like that, then afterwards we had a big meal where all of us missionaries, the members, and investigators just got to talk and get to know each other a bit more in a relaxed atmosphere. Some investigators that we didn't know would be able to come came, and it was a great experience for everyone!
Miracle time! Alright - so last week Pday was on tuesday, and the rest of our zone was in Hiroshima for a zone pday but we had an  appointment that afternoon so we stayed here. The appointment was with Yotsuji san, our new investigator and it went really well. She is Buddhist, but the reason she agreed to listen to what we have to say is because her dad died 7 years ago and she has just really been wondering if there is more to this life and where he is now. She is really sweet and sincere - can't wait to continue meeting with her! So after that lesson, we decided to go to a random store to try to find a new backpack. As we were wandering the aisles, we ran in to Barbarasan, who we hadn't been able to get ahold of! This is about the 5th time this has happened. I know that it is not a coincidence. God has prepared her and really is helping us out in being able to stay in contact. We were able to set up another appointment and had a wonderful lesson. We invited her again to be baptized, and this time she said she really wants to do what God wants her to do so she will pray about it and continue reading to learn the truth. The last time we asked her about baptism  (about a month and a half ago) she just told us she didn't see the need because she had already been baptized into another church. We were definitely blessed to see that change in her countenance this time around. 
Takeda is doing really well - progressing and moving right toward her 9/27 date ! ! 
I was thinking the other day about how much things have changed for me in the past year. When I was on my first transfer, it was a little scary to get off my bike and walk up to complete strangers and ask them their feelings about God, all in Japanese. But now, it makes me sad when I see someone walking on the other side of a busy road that we can't talk to because I just want to tell them how happy this message is! Also, a lot of the traditional Japanese houses have big yards with a gate you have to go through (that also has an intercom). You can ring the doorbell/intercom at the gate, or if it is unlocked go through and ring the doorbell on the house. When I was a younger missionary, it was a little intimidating to walk right through to their house, but now I love it! Granted don't take this the wrong way - I still have a LOT of areas I need to improve on and ways in which I want to become a better missionary, but it really is so incredible to look back and see the ways I've grown in the past 15 months. Mom, just a warning - I have changed a lot. In answer to your question - no I cannot imagine what my life would have been like without my mission. It is so hard.  Every yday is still hard, but it is the best thing I have ever done. Thank you for all of your support and love. Have a great week!
Ai shite imasu!
Flake Shimai

No comments:

Post a Comment