Sunday, August 31, 2014

Recharged! 8-24-14



                                   
                                                                The 4 Saijo Sisters Selfie



Konnichiwa, kazoku!
Sounds like you had a busy week! I can't believe you're already a month into school. I'm sorry to hear that you hurt your knee - I didn't know that! I hope you can get back into the swing of things soon (did you see that? I just used an english expression. I haven't forgotten all of my english! yosh). As far as football goes - at least Spencer is having fun, right? I guess that is what matters. :) I guess the weirdest thing is just trying to picture those boys as grown up! I won't be able to handle it if Spencer is taller than me when I get home. Entirely too weird. 
Our week - things went well this week! I'm emailing a day late because we had interviews with President yesterday. I absolutely love President and Sister Gustafson. They are incredible. Even though our mission is bursting to the max these days (250 missionaries) they still know and love each of us individually and I can always feel that when we talk to them. The APs training was wonderful - all about how to improve teaching and a lot of  new ideas. We did a lot of mogis (not sure if I know the English word - it's practicing teaching situations - roleplays, maybe?) that were really helpful. I am excited to apply these things in my every day missionary work.
This past week had so many wonderful moments. Takeda san is doing great. We had been a little worried because we were only able to meet with her once a week (her work has been busy) but after we taught her this past time we pulled out a calender and said So, we have this goal for September 27th, but we still have this many things to talk about. We can either extend the baptismal date and keep meeting like this, or keep the date and meet more often. What do you want to do? She pulled out her planner and started figuring out a few more times we could meet, and figured out when she could come to church as well. We ended up having more than enough days to finish her lessons and meet with her enough in order to be baptized by that date! She was out of town for work this past sunday, but hopefully will be able to come next week and throughout September to church. It was so good to be exactly on the same page with her. She is so sweet and just really has a desire to know the truth. We are so happy for her!
Teena - unfortunately we weren't able to meet with her this week because she was really busy with work, and we were gone to Fukuoka on the day she can normally meet - we are still working on strengthening her testimony of the word of wisdom. 
Tomiko- she has still been having a bit of a hard time with Willes shimai being gone, and she has a hard time when the weather is bad. One miracle with her - I called her before church on Sunday to see if she would be coming and we talked for awhile, probably a little over 10 minutes. She said I thought church was cancelled because the rain was so bad ( it's always raining here - we don't cancel church!) and talked about how she wasn't feeling too good but would try to come next week. I told her we loved her and knew that everyone would love to see her at church, but we understood and were excited for her to come back next week. Imagine my surprise when just after it started she walked in the door! I was so happy. I taught Sunday school again this week - I loved it. Teaching gospel principles just has such a great learning experience. I love it.  Tomiko - she is still having a bit of a hard time meeting for normal lessons - but she did give us 3 referrals this week! She really is starting to come back around. I know she will be baptized but it is just all in The Lord's time.
Temple trip! We went to Hiroshima Friday night (because the trains don't run early enough for us to have gone home saturday morning) and stayed with the sisters there overnight, then got on a bus to Fukuoka with a lot of the Hiroshima stake members Saturday morning and left at 4:30. We travelled for 4 1/2 to 5 hours, and got to Fukuoka. It was unreal to be riding through the streets that I knew so well. I can't even tell you how happy I was to be back, even for a short time. We got to the temple, and were able to watch Lisa do baptisms for both of her grandmothers. I can't remember a time that I have been happier. Seeing a recent convert doing work for her own family names and just beaming with the light of the gospel is something I will never forget.
We were able to do 2 temple sessions, then got on the bus and headed back home! we got in to Hiroshima around 8:30 or so, and back to our apartment by 9:30. It was quite the day. I absolutely love the feeling of the temple. This was one of the most rejuvenating moments - it was something I really needed.
One last investigator story - we were able to teach Minaesan, the former investigator that we visited a while ago and it went really well. She is kind of busy right now but interested - we are excited to keep working with her!
In answer to a few questions - it's true - no time to play here in Japan. Everyone is working and/or in school. However, being in a more rural place (Saijo) people do have a lot more time than in the city, which is nice. Things are really going well here. Sou shimai is the greatest. Just picture always having a cute Asian with you 24/7 speaking the best mix of Japanese/english and telling you you're pretty all the time. That about sums up my life - she is great. Sorry I am totally out of time but I love you thank you for all of your support and prayers - have a great week!!!!
AI shite imasu!
Flake Shimai

No comments:

Post a Comment