Monday, July 8, 2013

7-6-13

Konnichiwa, Kazoku!!!
This week has been crazy but awesome. As always. :) I got the package on Monday (it came on Saturday but by the time I got the package slip the post office was closed) so I picked it up Monday - thank you so much! It was exactly what I wanted. Right on down to that pair of moose socks. Oh yeah. And that missionary newsletter from our stake made my day - thank you thank you thank you. It is awesome reading how everyone is doing on their missions! The cookies you sent were still ultra soft and delicious. Oh and I loved and appreciated the jerky - but I think the elders in my district may have loved it even more than I did. It definitely made them happy campers. OH and the pictures were awesome. They make me so happy. I showed everyone in my district because I was so excited. :)
That's so fun that the boys are at EFY this week - they'll have such a good experience with that. Super exciting! And mom - I'm glad you got to sing with Angie, Wendy and Laura, I'm sure that was awesome. I'm praying for Dottie; and I know that whatever happens is what needs to happen right now. The Lord's timing is so important. He knows exactly what needs to happen at every moment of our lives because He can see the big picture. When we have the faith that this is the case, it is incredible to see what He has in store for us. I was just reading about that this morning, in fact in Ether 12. The Lord gives us different trials and challenges but when we keep going forward with faith in Him we can overcome the struggles and learn  tons along the way. SO GOOD. Wow. This gospel really is amazing!!!
In answer to some of your queries:
It was AWESOME seeing Devin last Tuesday! Holy cow that was a surprise. I ran up and gave him a huge hug. So good to see him. One thing that was a bit of a bummer though was that he didn't get to meet my normal companions - although Davidson and Willis Shimai, whom I was on splits with, are awesome as well. Heaton Shimai and Talia-Uli Shimai were at an appointment/test at the hospital that morning. Good news - the test told the doctors what was wrong with Talia-Uli Shimai (and it's not as big of a deal as they thought it could be) so she will hopefully get cleared to go to Japan the same time we do! We're crossing our fingers for her. She is the best. Adjusting to having 3 people after only having 2 for 6 weeks has been a bit of a challenge but things are going great. I absolutely love both  Heaton Shimai and Talia-Uli Shimai. I've already told you lots about Heaton Shimai and how much I adore her. Talia-Uli Shimai is hilarious. Seriously, she is. She is Tongan, and her English is awesome (and she has a way cool accent). Mostly she's a huge joker so it keeps us all laughing every day. She has the best attitude, even though she's been here a lot longer than all of us. Always super happy and cheerful - I love it!
On Wednesday, one thing that was different was that for TRC we got to skype with members in Japan. So what that entailed was the three of us skyping with Brother Ishii, a member (volunteer) currently living in Japan. We taught him as himself, teaching the importance of prayer and the blessings it brings. It was awesome, and even though it was over the internet we could definitely feel the Spirit. We were all a little sad when it was time to end the call. Dad, to answer your questions a little - Progressing Investigator lessons are our teachers being the investigators ( we have that every day for the first hour of class) and they pretend to be one of the people they knew from their mission. So our current investigators are Kuahara Kyodai (Anderson Sensei) and Watabe Kyodai (Taylor Sensei). Basically a couple of companionships sign up to teach each day, and it's in a different room (not our classroom). We go in and teach them for about 20 minutes or so, commit them to things, teach lessons they're confused about, and so on. It's amazing. I love it and the things I've learned as we've done this. TRC is a program that anybody really can volunteer to come to. I think 95% of the time it's members, but our first time we happened to get a nonmember. It kind of depends because it's different every week. This week and next week, however, we're doing skype instead.
4th of July: I think this is definitely the greatest holiday to spend in the MTC (okay, so maybe I'm a bit biased). It was AWESOME. Normal day of class and such, but then at 7:30 we all went to a devotional in 19M. We sang a lot of patriotic songs, there was an awesome flute/piano duet, and a speaker gave about a five minute talk. After the closing song President Nally announced that we'd be watching 17 Miracles, then getting ice cream and watching the fireworks. And that is exactly what we did. I had never seen that movie before, but let me tell you, it is a winner. I almost cried (and I would have too if I could cry in movies. But unfortunately I cannot). It was incredible! The pioneers went through so much for this wonderful gospel that we know to be true. It was very inspiring. The movie finished a little after ten, then we got ice cream and watched the fireworks till just before 11. Yep, that's right - we got to stay up late! It was crazy, but loads of fun. I love America!
Another thing we do every day is TALL (Technology Assisted Language Learning, or something like that), a computer program to help us learn more vocabulary and grammar principles, and it is really helpful. Anywho so yesterday when we were in the computer lab, President Mills walked by and said hello. And took a picture - I'm presuming he sent it to you. I run into him all over around this place! It's great.
Oh my  goodness. I also got Aunt Diana's package yesterday - tell them thank you! It was awesome. I loved all the pictures and notes from the cousins, as well as the cookies and cookie dough. Supreme. It was super nice, and greatly appreciated. :)
Yesterday we got our travel plans! I'm sorry I don't have my paper with the specifics with me right now, all I can remember is that we have to meet at the travel office 2:30 a.m. on July 15. I think we're going to Salt Lake, then Dallas, then Tokyo, then  Fukuoka. So next week I'll send you specific info on when I can call and such. Thanks for everything with that! I am excited to tell you a bit more in person. Just know that it will be sometime Monday morning. What number do you want me to call?
Oh and last thing - if possible, is there any possible way you could send me my gray watch? It's in the grey storage bin (and yes, I don't know whether to spell it as grey or gray, which is precisely why I put both). If not it's not a problem, but if that would be possible that would be lovely. Anyway I want you all to know that I love you! The Lord loves each of us so much, and is SO involved in the details of our lives. And I'm serious about going back and reading Ether 12. It is the best. Well that's all for this week, kazoku, but good luck with all your adventures this week!
Ai shiteimasu!!!!
-Flake Shimai
 
P.S. Elder Beatty just walked by in the computer lab I'm currently sitting in. He said to tell you all hi. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment