Sunday, July 21, 2013

First week in Japan 7-21-13



Konnichiwa, kazoku!
Wow. Looking back on this week, its crazy to think of all the things that have happened. Where to begin?!? Last Sunday, the sisters in our district sang in Sacrament Meeting and that was really nice, a great experience for our last day together. The plane ride was very long, but it was fun at the same time. There were 29 missionaries going from the MTC to Fukuoka, so it was a good time. When we were at the Tokyo airport, we had to go through customs, recheck our luggage, switch terminals all the way across the airport, go through security again, get on a different shuttle to go to our plane, and a few more crazy adventures but luckily we made it to our last flight. The flight from Tokyo to Fukuoka was my favorite part of the trip. It was so beautiful. I had a window seat and essentially just looked out in awe for the whole 2 hours. When we landed in Fukuoka, it was about 7 00 Tuesday night. The mission president and his wife were there with the APs to greet us and help us get everything together. They are awesome. I love them so much already; I can't wait to get to know them better over the next year and a half. We went back to the mission home, where we proceeded to sign a bunch of papers, figure out all of the paperwork and such then we went to bed.  Oh and another fun fact - I didn't really sleep on the plane because I couldn't. I think my body was just weirded out by the time zone difference or something so I had jetlag for several days. Tons of fun. On Wednesday, we had an orientation, went streeting with some of the Fukuoka missionaries, and that night went and helped with Eikaiwa, English class. Afterwords is when we found out our new areas and companions. Well as I'm sure you were able to gather from the ward member's email, I am currently serving in Miyazaki, and my companion is Suzuki Shimai. She is awesome. Super nice. She is full Japanese, but grew up in Hong Kong going to all English schools and an English ward and such so she is completely fluent in Japanese and English. She was serving in another area, so we met up in Fukuoka and took the 4 hour train ride here and got to know each other really well. When we got off the bus, there were a few members and the ward mission leader and the set of Miyazaki elders here to greet us. They gave us candy leis and a huge welcome card - it was so nice! They also set up appointments with us for the next day, introduced us to members, brought us food, and essentially save us every time we have a question. They are way nice. Its interesting because the last time there were sister missionaries in this area was about a year ago, so the ward is thrilled to have us here. At least that's what I think. I essentially just spend a lot of time smiling at people while my companion talks to them. Then I attempt a sentence in broken Japanese and they usually understand part of it. It is really interesting being in the minority. I definitely look very American here, but it's a great experience. I love Japan. I seriously can't even really begin to explain how nice and respectful everyone is to each other. The food is different, but really good. Also I have one minor accomplishment to share - when I got here, I couldn't eat with chopsticks at all. However, now I can do it well enough to get by. Huzzah! 
Oh our apartment! It is super nice. Way nice. Cute, clean, and really open - with only one minor problem. The a/c is broken. As in it doesn't work. As in our apartment is often more humid and hot than outside. But it\s okay, That first night was the hardest to adjust to, but the elders saved us once again the next day by bringing by 2 more fans. We have a great system now for when we're home - we just make sure to put all the fans in the room we're spending time in. No big deal. I think the a/c will be getting fixed in another week or so so it's all good.
Seriously though, I can't even begin to describe how incredible the members here are. They are incredible! They love the fact that there are sisters in the ward again and they have helped us with so much already and are continuously helping us out. 
Yesterday, we had branch conference so President and Sister Gustafson were here and it was great to see them again. After church there was a big potluck dinner and the food was awesome. It was great to be able to go around and meet more people and learn more about this place. Oh and there are about 60 people in the branch here, and there's just the one branch in Miyazaki.
Last random fact on this note - one of the ward members here got back from his mission last December and he served with one of my MTC senseis. Small world!

In response to a few of your queries, the funny thing is I feel like I learned alot in the MTC but promptly forgot every single thing the moment I stepped off the plane. I'm serious. I can bear a simple testimony and pray *which are things I learned how to do about my first week of the mtc* but the problem is I feel like my Japanese is worse than it was there. Which isn't exactly how I should be feeling. It is hard, REALLY hard to not get discouraged about the language. Especially when the little kids know as much or more English than I know Japanese. I have learned so much the importance of relying on Heavenly Father and the Spirit. It is hard, but we can do this! I am so blessed to have Suzuki Shimai here. She is so nice and understanding. But, things will work out. I know this is the case. Japan really is incredible! I can't wait to continue learning more and more every day.
Thanks for everything, I love you all so much! Good luck with everything this next week. You\re the best!
Ai shitte imasu,
Flake Shimai

PS THAT IS SO AWESOME THAT CASEY AND ANGELA WILL BE MOVING HERE. WOOO-HOOOOO

(Alyssa's first cousin-Angela (Moody) Bond and her husband are moving to Miyazaki next month to teach at a school there for a year so they will be in her branch.  We are very excited to get some firsthand accounts from them on how she is doing.)


Pictures:--from her companion



Sister Flake is so cute ;)

Sister Flake & me with the ADORABLE Hayashi family children ;D



No comments:

Post a Comment