Sunday, October 27, 2013

Loving Fukuoka!! 10-27-13

1. Krispy Kremes and matching socks
2.CHEESE. This is a big deal because japan does not normally sell blocks of cheese. its basically non existent here so we were pretty excited.
3. the view from a member's back balcony
4. someone just gave us flowers when we were riding down the street one day. free flowers!
5. Bush shimai, higashi shimai, rain shimai, and snowflake shimai  (Halloween costumes)







O-hayo Gozaimasu!!!
Thanks for that full update of your week! I really love hearing all about the crazy fun adventures!!! Wow, I can't believe another week has already gone by. It is crazy, because SO MUCH happens every week! I always kind of forget that p-day is every week. So basically everySunday night when we're planning it's a little bit like Christmas when I remember we have a bit of chill time the next day. Fun stuff. Anywho. Last p-day Lane shimai and I went on a great pday adventure. We discovered a Krispy Kremes. Here in Fukuoka, Japan. Crazy good. So we had another lesson with Christina and Karan last week and talked about Faith in Christ and a little bit more with word of wisdom. And here is the crazy news of the week that you may not believe - but I, your daughter, who loves chocolate and has the biggest sweet tooth on the planet, am going on a satou danjiki (sugar fast). Lane shimai and I thought it would be fun to tell Christina and Karan that we wanted to give up something as well right now while they're giving up coffee and alcohol and such. So, the four of us decided that the two of us missionaries would give up sugar. Aka no more chocolate, sugar, jam, sugary cereal, cake, etc.. And it has been an adventure! But it's been great as well. Even though I'm not addicted to sugar, I have been able to gain the tiniest glimpse of what it would be like giving something up that you were used to having all the time. It's been fun, especially with Halloween and such, being creative with alternatives to sugar. This is probably the only time I'll do a sugar fast. If I was doing it without a purpose, it wouldn't be too fun or effective. But hey, it's great because it's fun and healthy too. We love talking to them about how we're doing with sugar and how they're doing with word of wisdom. It's all good. For example, at the ward halloween party last saturday they had an eat the donuts on the string with no hands kind of thing, and we wanted to play too so we just got rolls and poked holes in them and joined right in on the fun. Totally A-okay. Good thing the krispy kremes were the day before!! Haha just kidding. But yeah - pretty crazy stuff! 
So the two of them are trying with the word of wisdom, but we're still working on some other things as well. Also Yukari is going to be in the hospital for the next couple of weeks with a surgery she has to do, so we unfortunately won't be able to teach her but we love her so much! She is a sweetheart. Anyway, prayers are appreciated!!!
Typhoons are a little crazy these days. It's not even monsoon season but this is way more rain than I've ever seen. I look like a spy in my kapa (rainsuit). Because it is all black, the raincoat and the rain pants. Pretty snazzy. We had sports night last week as well which was AWESOME. All the missionaries (12 of us) and a bunch of investigators and PIs came and we played basketball and volleyball and it was just great. It was also junkai (exchanges)  week! Fun fact - Sister Kobayashi is one of my favorite people here. She was my sister training leader for the past 2 transfers in the kagoshima zone, and we both transferred to the fukuoka zone and she's my STL again! I junkai-ed with Sister Eddy, who is awesome. I was able to learn alot from her, and it was alot of fun having the 6 sisters in the apartment for a couple of days. 
More exciting news - our halloween costumes. Lane shimai went as Rain (it's funny, because people don't pronounce L's here so they always call her rain shimai), I went as a snowflake (basically we thought we were really funny with the whole play on our names costumes) Bush shimai went as a flower bush, and Higashi shimai (which means East in Japanese) went as East. like a compass. It was way fun. The other missionaries and ward members had some pretty fabulous costumes as well. My favorite was one of the elders went as a daikon. Which is basically a giant white japanese radish. Good times. 
One junkai miracle - Eddy shimai and I had been out talking to people, knocking doors, and not really  having much success. When we were on our way home,only about two minutes from home, we stopped one more lady just walking by. We started talking to her, and found out she had lived in provo about 20 yrs ago, and had been baptized while there. She was LDS. She just hadn't been to church for a really long time because she was a little nervous to come back after being gone for so long. We were able to talk to her about a few things, gave her the information for church and some other things, and she said she really wants to come to Eikaiwa this week! What a miracle that the Lord put her right in our path. I love the miracles we are able to see every day! Lane Shimai and I are basically having too much fun this transfer. It's awesome working together and helping and learning from each other. I love it here!!! And Fukuoka is crazy big. I think it's like the 4th biggest city in Japan. It is huge. Miyazaki is pretty tiny, comparatively. Anyway, I love being here, I love seeing all the miracles the Lord blesses us with every day as we try our hardest, and I love everything I am learning about and growing from each day. Thank you for all of your love, prayers, and support - I love you all so much!! Also if you get the time you should look up the talk called Beautiful Morning from this past April conference by Bruce Porter. It's great.
Ai shite imasu!!!!
Flake Shimai

PS Japanese is awesome. I love it.
PPS Noa chan got baptized in Miyazaki yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy! I am sad because I wasn't able to be there, but I did get permission to call and talk to her for a little bit afterward and it was incredible. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment